Skip to content

Header Menu 2

Header Actions Menu



Two Salem College students in the fine arts studio
Salem College students wearing Salem pride t-shirts


Every year, students from across North Carolina and the nation transfer to Salem College to take advantage of our outstanding undergraduate programs. Whether you are currently enrolled in another college, or have been out of college for a while and are looking to return, we would love to have you transfer to Salem College. We’ve been a revolutionary place to launch your career since 1772, when Salem became America’s first school for female students. We love our transfer students, and you’ll see that in our flexible programs, convenient classes and first-class advising.

Three students petting a dog in downtown Winston Salem

Collaborations with Other Schools

Salem Academy and College collaborates with a number of community colleges, universities and academic providers to create opportunities for students to transfer courses, exams and certifications towards undergraduate and graduate degree requirements.

The College has agreements with the following institutions:

  • Forsyth Tech Community College (NC)
  • Campbell University School of Law (NC)
  • Elon University School of Law (NC)
  • Forsyth Technical Community College (NC)
  • Keiser University (FL)
  • Louisburg College (NC)
  • University of Lynchburg (VA)
  • North Carolina A&T State University (NC)
  • North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities (NCICU) and North Carolina
  • Community College Systems (NCCCS) (NC)
  • Surry Community College (NC)
  • University of North Carolina School of the Arts (NC)
  • Wake Forest University (NC)

If you would like to check to see whether we have already evaluated a particular course you have taken for transfer credit, please click here  or contact Salem’s Dean of Undergraduate Studies.

Two Salem College students on campus in front of Main Hall

Do you have an AA or AS degree from a North Carolina Community College?

Salem College also participates in the NCICU statewide agreement, which allows AA or AS graduates of any North Carolina community colleges to be accepted at Salem as juniors, with nearly all lower-level education requirements met. For specific questions about the expected coursework, contact the Dean of Undergraduate Studies, Jenna Sheffield, at

Students completing their Associate’s degrees under an agreement with one of the above institutions, with the intention of transferring to Salem College, should contact the Salem College Office of Admissions. Contacting the admissions office prior to your transfer will allow our staff to guide you through the appropriate coursework to complete prior to transferring and personalize your enrollment process. Please continue to regularly consult your community college academic and transfer advisors.

Students who are matriculated at Salem College and interested in pursuing a graduate degree with one of our academic partners, under an existing agreement, should regularly consult with their academic advisor to ensure a seamless transition.

Salem Academy and College also recognizes a variety of college-level exams, including Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB), to transfer towards degree requirements.


New transfer students may be awarded the Dean’s Award Scholarship of $22,000/year in addition to other aid. To learn more about Affordability, click here. 

Need-Based Aid

Salem offers extensive need-based aid as well based on the FAFSA. The 2022-23 FAFSA can be completed online.

Salem is dedicated to admitting qualified students and working with individual families to meet financial needs. Through need-based grants, low-interest loans, work-study programs, merit-based scholarships and payment plans, Salem makes every effort to meet financial concerns and tailor a financial aid package to suit each individual.

Students attending or planning to attend Forsyth Tech may be eligible for Salem Advantage, our special program that provides for a maximum of $3,000 annual tuition for eligible students.

Salem Promise

This innovative award provides up to 100 percent coverage of tuition and fees for North Carolina resident applicants who are Pell eligible. Salem is ranked 2nd in the nation for Social Mobility because of our outstanding record of graduating students who receive Pell grants. Priority for the Salem Promise will be given to students who have completed admission application and FAFSA by March 1.

Learn more about financial aid and scholarships available

A gate on the campus of Salem College

Transfer FAQs

Will my credits transfer?

We do our best to accommodate students with transfer credits but we cannot guarantee that they will transfer. We have the same articulation agreement as most state schools so most credits should transfer as long as the student received a C or higher. If there is no equivalent, you will receive elective credit.

What is the transfer evaluation process at Salem?

Upon acceptance, your transcript will be sent to the Registrar’s Office who will then complete a transfer evaluation which will be sent to you and Dean Jenna Sheffield. If you have any questions about the transfer application and evaluation process you can contact the Office of Admissions at 336-721-2621 or email us at

If you would like to see which of your courses may transfer, please visit the transfer planning area of our self-serve interactive course system.

Do you offer scholarships for transfer students?

Transfer students with a 3.25 GPA or higher are eligible for a $15,000 merit scholarship.

Will I get housing?

Salem College is a residential campus. All full-time undergraduate students must live in residence halls on campus unless their permanent residence is within a 50-mile radius of campus or they are the parents of dependent children and they receive a residence requirement waiver. Part-time degree seeking students who would like to experience residential living may apply for housing on campus. There is no specific number of rooms blocked for transfer students, but all eligible students will receive housing.

How long will it take me to complete my degree?

The time it will take to complete your degree can vary based on your major and the amount of credits you will need to complete in order to graduate. As a transfer student, your academic advisor will be Dean Sheffield (until you declare your major) and she will be able to assist in creating an academic plan.

© Salem College 2024, All rights reserved.