Salem College Department of Teacher Education and Graduate Studies publishes policies regarding appeals of admission, grading and grade appeals, appeals regarding retention, sexual harassment, judicial review of Honor Council rulings, the appeal of financial aid awards and for the appeal of campus parking/traffic citations.  These policies and procedures may be found in the respective sections of the Salem College Graduate Catalog. Salem College graduate students who have concerns in areas not covered by these policies may seek resolution through the following general grievance policy and procedure:

Candidates are encouraged first to try to resolve other concerns themselves by talking directly with the College personnel involved.  If resolution is not reached, students may file a written grievance with the Director of Graduate Studies in Education.  This process should be initiated as soon as possible, preferably within 30 days of the occurrence. The student should complete the Student Grievance Form, which is available in the Office of Teacher Education and Graduate Studies, and submit it to the Director of Graduate Studies in Education.  The director will review the written grievance and respond to the student within fifteen business days (while the College is in session).  Depending upon the nature of the grievance, the director may request that all parties involved meet to mediate the situation and find a reasonable solution.

If the matter is not resolved in consultation with the Director of Graduate Studies in Education, the student may then refer the matter to the Graduate Education Council.  The student should submit a letter addressed to the Graduate Education Council describing the grievance to the Director of Graduate Studies in Education. The director will present the letter them to the Graduate Education Council for deliberation and decision and will report the Graduate Education Council’s decision back to the student.
If the Graduate Education Council’s resolution is not satisfactory to the student, she/he may refer the matter in writing to the vice president for academic and student affairs and dean of the College for further consideration.

If you were unable to resolve a complaint through the institution's grievance procedures, please submit a complaint to:

North Carolina Department of Justice
Consumer Protection Division
9001 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001
Phone number: 1-877-566-7226

An online complaint form is available at: