ADD/ADHD Medication Policy

Salem Academy and College Health and Counseling Services does not provide prescriptions for medication for students with a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD.

Students coming to campus with pre-existing diagnosis of ADD/ADHD will have two options:

  1. Continue to get their medications from their treatment provider at home. Be sure to notify your home physician a month or so in advance to work out the details of medication management and follow-up while at college.
  2. Arrange to see a psychiatrist in the local community for medical management. A list of referrals is available upon request.

Those students who do not have a previous diagnosis, but who suspect they have ADD/ADHD will need to get tested and treated, if appropriate, by a psychologist or psychiatrist in the community. A list of referrals is available upon request.

Counseling Services staff will continue to offer support to our students who are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD by teaching them organizational skills, impulse control strategies, mindfulness and focusing skills, etc. Students will also be referred to Academic Support as needed.

After Hours Emergencies

For after-hour emergencies, students should contact their Resident Assistants or Area Coordinator or notify Public Safety by calling 336-917-5555.

Missed Class Excuses

Health Services does not provide written excuses for missing class due to illness. The nurse will validate in writing that you were seen in the clinic if your professor requests documentation of the visit.


Salem College does not have a pharmacy or a lab. Health Services staff can dispense over-the-counter medication to students at no cost. Prescription medications must be obtained at a local pharmacy.

If a student injury or illness requires that a student see a physician or other healthcare provider, typically they are referred to Novant Gateway Family Medicine at 390 Salem Avenue. The Gateway office is less than 0.5 miles from campus and is within walking distance. The phone number for the Gateway Family Medicine office is 336-271-2375. Laboratory and diagnostic tests are ordered at the discretion of the provider and the cost of these tests is the responsibility of the student.

Health Insurance

All students are required to have health insurance. It is strongly recommended that students’ health insurance cover care in Winston-Salem. If you are not sure, please check with your insurance company. Salem College does not have a student health insurance product available. If you need to purchase a policy, you may wish to check out the federal insurance exchange (

Required Forms for First Year and Transfer Students

All first-year and transfer students must submit a completed Health Information Form and Immunization Records Form with proof of immunizations by August 1st. These forms are also available on the Required Student Forms page.