Skip to content

Header Menu 2

Header Actions Menu

Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to apply for admission before filing the FAFSA?

No. File the FAFSA as soon as it is available and while you think about attending Salem College (but not before October 1). The 2024-25 FAFSA will be available by December 31, 2023.

My parents need help coming up with funds to pay my bill after all my financial aid has been applied. What do I do?

Federal Direct Parent PLUS loans and tuition payments are available. You can obtain PLUS loan information from the Financial Aid Office. Tuition payment plan information is available from the Controller’s Office.

What do I do if my family’s situation has changed since we completed our FAFSA?

If you have special or unusual circumstances, please view the information online about the steps you need to take.

What is your financial aid policy in cases of divorce or separation?

Students that live with a single/divorced/widowed parent and receive most support from that parent, will report only one parent on the FAFSA. The parent included in the FAFSA as a contributor must be the parent that provides the greater portion of the student’s financial support. If that primary parent is remarried, the income of that parent’s spouse (stepparent) will also be required.

What happens if I decline all or part of my award and then decide I really do want it?

Notify the Financial Aid Office in writing in order to reinstate your award. We will review the file to make sure you still qualify for the funds and notify you of the reinstatement if funds are still available.

Is the deadline on the award letter really a deadline?

The date is a suggested date of return. We assume you want everything on your award letter unless you notify us otherwise. However, we cannot process a loan or begin the work-study process unless you return all of the necessary paperwork.

How are outside scholarships handled?

We will evaluate the award to determine if we need to make any adjustments. We will mail a new award letter to notify you of any changes.

Is work-study applied to my bill?

No. Work-study is an opportunity to earn money while attending Salem College. You are paid as you earn money, just as in any job. Because the Business Office has no guarantee that you will earn this money or that earnings will be turned over to pay charges, the work-study authorization is not subtracted from your bill. You and your parents will need to be prepared to pay this difference. If you work regularly, you can expect to earn money on a monthly basis.

Is my financial aid package renewable?

Merit scholarships are renewable based on the terms outlined in the scholarship letter sent by the Admissions Office. Renewal of need-based financial aid each year depends on you filing a Renewal FAFSA. Aid packages are subject to change each year depending upon the Student Aid Index (SAI) calculated on the FAFSA. Renewal FAFSAs can be completed online. October 1 is the earliest a FAFSA can be completed, but renewal FAFSAs completed by the beginning of March will be considered first priority. Loan limits also change from year to year, depending on federal limits. Work-study awards are always the same amount and will only change if the minimum wage rates increase. Estimated awards are not made for returning students who have outstanding documents; awards will be made when the entire file is complete.

Is there a limit to the amount of pell grant a student can receive?

Once you have received a Pell Grant for 12 semesters, or the equivalent, you will no longer be eligible for additional Pell Grants.

  • You are eligible to receive a Pell Grant for up to 12 semesters or the equivalent. If you have exceeded the 12-semester maximum, you will lose eligibility for additional Pell Grants. Equivalency is calculated by adding together the percentage of your Pell eligibility that you received each year to determine whether the total amount exceeds 600%.
  • For example, if your maximum Pell Grant award amount for the 2022-2023 school year was $5,550, but you only receive $2,775 because you were only enrolled for one semester, you would have used 50% of your maximum award for that year. If in the following school year, you were enrolled only three-quarter time, you would have used 75% of your maximum award for that year. Together, you would have received 125% out of the total 600% lifetime limit.

© Salem College 2024, All rights reserved.