McHugh Sisters Flats has received a third award, a 2016 Downtown Excellence Award. This award was presented by Winston-Salem Mayor Allen Joines at the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership annual meeting on February 22.
The Downtown Excellence Awards were created in 1995 to recognize projects, people, and events that have brought excellence to Downtown Winston-Salem.
Salem College, Frank L. Blum Construction Company, CJMW Architecture, and Stimmel Associates worked collaboratively to meet an exceptionally accelerated schedule in order to complete the building in time for students to move in for the fall 2015 semester.
Previously, McHugh Sisters Flats received the Mayor’s Choice Community Appearance Award and a merit award for excellence in construction from the Carolinas Chapter of the Associated Builders and Contractors.
Salem College envisioned a facility to accommodate their growing student population, honor the College’s historic Moravian traditions and architecture, and connect the campus with the downtown district.
The McHugh Sisters Flats, the first residence hall built on the Salem campus since 1965, connects the past, the present and the future. The 32,000-square-foot, apartment-style building provides housing for eighty-nine students. Each flat has a full kitchen and living area, two bedrooms, and two bathrooms. A great room, porches, and patios offer common areas that will foster collaboration among the residents.
The building’s location is in the area of the boundary between Salem and Winston, which were joined by a hyphen in 1913 to become the city of Winston‐Salem. The Clarkson S. and Florence H. Starbuck House, often referred to as the Hyphen House, was constructed on the site in 1914 and was recently removed to make room for McHugh. Today, the McHugh Sisters Flats represent a new connection between Salem and the downtown district.