Earn Experience through a Student Internship in Winston-Salem, NC, or Across the Country
As part of our commitment to preparing our students for the working world, Salem College provides internship opportunities for students to link their academic major with practical experience in a variety of career areas. Qualified students may take internships during the regular term, January Term, and also in the summer. To qualify, a student must have at least a 2.00 GPA and have completed her first year of college.
Internships are an integral part of the Salem Signature program, as well as several academic majors at Salem, which require at least one internship during the course of a student’s college career. All traditional-age undergraduate students must complete one internship that may or may not be related to their major, but can participate in more than four, as per graduation requirements.
Expand Your Working Knowledge of a Particular Field or Career Track
Perhaps you already have an idea of where you’d like to intern. If not, take a look at the following examples of previously completed Salem College internships, organized according to the relevant program of study:
- Art History: Reynolda House Museum of American Art
- Biology: Clinical and/or research internships, the Wake Forest University School of Medicine and Baptist Medical Center; Tengion; Forsyth Medical Center; Winston-Salem Forsyth County Public Health Department
- Business Administration: Pepsico, Hong Kong; Sara Lee Direct; Edward D. Jones; Krispy Kreme
- Chemistry: Glaxo Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; Targacept
- Communication: MTV Network, Studio City, CA; NBC, New York; Turner Broadcasting, Atlanta; Fox Sports, Los Angeles; CBS News, New York
- Economics: Merrill Lynch; Wachovia; Smith Barney
- English: Children’s Theatre; Old Salem; Blair Publishing
- History: NC Supreme Court; NC Museum of History; Legal Services of NC; Old Salem
- Music: Winston-Salem Piedmont Triad Symphony
- Not-for-Profit Management: The Little Theatre of Winston-Salem; Museum of Art; Manchester Music Festival
- Political Science: NC GOP Headquarters; Office of the District Attorney, Guilford County, NC
- Religion: Presbyterian Church of Scotland; Crisis Control Ministry
- Sociology: Maryland School for the Deaf; Winston-Salem Police Department; YMCA
- Spanish: Missionary work in Honduras; work with local Hispanic newspaper; translating for the Department of Social Services
- Studio Art: Logo design work for a local biotech company
Local Not-for-Profit Internships
If you are interested primarily in the Not-for-Profit Management course of study, here are several organizations where you can complete a local internship in Winston-Salem, NC:
- Nonprofit Connections, Winston-Salem, NC
- Red Cross: Northwest North Carolina Chapter, Winston-Salem, NC
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Forsyth County
- Knollwood Baptist Church
- Salvation Army
- The Women’s Fund of Winston-Salem
Receive Approval to Pursue Your Chosen Internship at Salem College
Before committing to an internship opportunity, make sure to discuss your ideas with your academic advisor or the chair of the major department associated with your selected internship. Providing orientation sessions and internship listings, the Office of Career Development and Internships is also a great resource for helping you determine viable internship opportunities.
Salem College not only promotes but requires students to receive internship experience to help prepare them for successful careers.