Salem Academy and College the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls in women in the country by its founding date of 1772 invites applications for the Videographer - Photographer. The job reports to the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications.
About Salem Academy and College:
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country. Since 1772, the institution has engaged in transformational change to innovate women’s education. Founded with the mission of making education accessible to all, Salem has a rich 250-year-old history and a long-standing track record of educating students who are prepared to make a bold impact locally, nationally and globally through liberal arts education. Our graduates are committed to making the world a better, healthier and more equitable place. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of health leaders.
Salem College has more than 40 full-time faculty and over 150 staff members who support approximately 500 students including full-time undergraduates, part-time students and graduate programs. Salem recently received the largest philanthropic gift in its history with a $5M anonymous donation focused on enabling our health leadership transformation as well as a $3.6M estate gift to support the College. Salem completed its 250th-anniversary campaign this year exceeding a $12.5M goal.
U.S. News & World Report 2022-2023 Rankings, ranked Salem College No. 1 among all National Liberal Arts Colleges in America as a Top Performer on Social Mobility. Our institution has rapidly moved up the national ranking for Social Mobility, from No. 10 in 2020 and No. 4 in 2021 to No. 1 in 2022. Salem College is also ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the No. 2 National Liberal Arts College in North Carolina. Salem has been ranked among the top three National Liberal Arts Colleges in North Carolina for the past seven years. In addition, Salem College was ranked 6th in the nation for college affordability last year.
Salem College is located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known as the “City of Arts and Innovation”. Winston-Salem is a lively academic community, home to six institutions of higher education and more than 26,000 students. Winston Salem has a collaborative and engaged academic community with strong private and public schools, excellent healthcare systems, and affordable housing. The Winston-Salem area also offers a rich variety of cultural opportunities and has a vibrant art and restaurant scene. Within a few hours of campus are mountains for skiing, camping, or hiking; rivers for whitewater rafting; and the beautiful ports and beaches of North and South Carolina.
As part of Salem Academy and College’s marketing and communications team, the Videographer/Photographer will tell the Salem story through emotionally compelling and captivating videos and through extraordinary photography that shares the positive impact we make on the lives of girls and women. We want you to represent the Salem brand through photo and video shoots, promotional photography, and videography that helps us build brand awareness and share our Salem story to engage a diverse audience. The Videographer/Photographer will generate videos and photos from short clips to long-form storytelling content that shares the Salem story in authentic and innovative ways. This position is key to furthering Salem’s marketing and communications goals like recruiting new students and positioning Salem as one of the most esteemed liberal arts colleges for women and as the nation’s only college dedicated to elevating and expanding women’s roles in health leadership. The Videographer/Photographer also supports communications and marketing efforts for Salem Academy, a boarding and day school exclusive for girls grades 9-12.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications, the Videographer/Photographer will be involved in a wide range of projects that strengthen and enhance the Salem brand. The ideal candidate is highly knowledgeable about marketing and communications videography and photography trends and is driven to creatively capture brand messaging and Salem stories. Videos and photos will be used on Salem’s website, social media platforms, during presentations, special events, print publications, advertising, email marketing, media relations, student recruitment, and other outreach efforts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Capture and edit videos and photos using digital imaging technology, techniques, methods, and formats for videography and photography
- Capture videos and photos at varying locations on and off campus
- Manage agency requests from various people and departments and maintain a schedule of video and photo shoots
- Expertly lead, direct, and manage photo and video shoots by recommending locations, backgrounds, lighting, and more
- Using equipment tools, and supplies used in the taking, processing, enhancing, and use of photographs including various cameras/lenses, image processing software and types of lighting
- Assist in script development and story boards for video production and recommend photography that supplements narratives in our reports, documents, flyers, and more
- Collaborate closely with the team to suggest photo, video, and marketing ideas that improve and promote Salem’s mission and its brand
- Organize, manage, and maintain the institution’s image and video library
- Keep accurate, detailed notes to identify subjects in photographs and ensure every image file has proper photography/videography release forms signed
- Utilize creativity as well as knowledge of lighting, composition, camera/lens combination, and editing software such as: Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Photo Mechanic
- Select the appropriate camera angles, picture composition, filtering, lighting, or other treatment necessary to produce a desired message or special effect
- Help build Salem’s YouTube channel as a storytelling platform by producing relevant and engaging content to connect with multiple audiences and stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in videography or video production, film studies, cinematography, photography, communications, journalism, marketing, or a closely related field
- Five years of experience with photography and videography with a strong proficiency in capturing high quality photographs and video
- Senior-level knowledge and skill with professional photo and video equipment including cameras, lenses, microphones, lighting, and backdrops
- Prior experience and a proven track record of premium quality work in video production and photography
- A solid understanding and experience of using video and photography for communications, marketing, and outreach
- Understanding and experience with social media and other digital media platforms, especially YouTube
- Experience or knowledge in understanding how educational entities operate
- Effective interpersonal skills with the desire to work with a diverse group of internal and external partners
- Enjoy providing support to institutional departments and helping others with their videography and photography projects
- Demonstrate the ability to collaborate with team members and other staff to complete timelines and projects
- Comfortable with being flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment and adhering to fast and impromptu deadlines
- Ability to work on multiple projects with varying deadlines while producing high-quality work and exercising extreme attention to detail
- Comfortable receiving direction, then executing individual projects independently, taking initiative, and making sound decisions
- Comfortable working on high-profile projects that impact our brand, our reputation, and important stakeholders
- Adaptability to work flexible work hours including some evenings and weekends
- Graphic design experience is preferred
While performing the responsibilities of the Videographer - Photographer, the employee is required to sit for varying lengths of time; bend, reach, lift, push, and pull up to 25 pounds; occasionally stand, walk, and kneel and regularly ascend/descend stairs; use hands and fingers to handle or feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard; perform extended periods of work at a computer workstation, view a computer monitor; perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and receive detailed information through oral communication; express and exchange ideas by means of spoken word; and work in an office setting.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.