Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for Retail Store Manager. Under the direction of the Assistant Vice President for Administration and Compliance Officer, the Retail Store Manager manages the operation of a full-service campus store. Responsibilities include assisting customers in the purchase of gifts and/or supplies, acquiring merchandise, handling payments, performing data entry, and completing paperwork to assist with accounting and prompt and accurate payment of invoices, problem-solving for customers and staff, and training and supervising student workers. Excellent communication and customer service skills are required to interact with a variety of diverse students, faculty, staff, visitors, and vendors for various reasons, including information dissemination, providing general assistance, and problem-solving.The position has a part time-flexible schedule up to 25 hours per week to include some weekends.
About Salem Academy and College
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college dedicated to developing the next generation of women leaders in health. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs customer service activities such as assisting customers in the purchase of merchandise and/or supplies and returns or refunds merchandise as necessary. May be responsible for fulfilling web orders.
- Performs problem-solving for customers and staff, including assisting in locating supplies not on-site and assisting in determining availability of back-ordered or late-ordered items.
- Compiles paperwork and enters pertinent information into point-of-sale (POS) system regarding invoices; and of shipping, receiving and transfer of goods.
- Receives, unloads, moves and processes merchandise, packages and freight.
- Prepares customer orders and vendor returns for shipping including packaging, addressing and associated paperwork.
- Communicates on a regular basis with supply vendors regarding the ordering of merchandise, and monitors and rotates inventory as necessary.
- Trains and supervises student workers.
- Performs activities in preparation for closing the store including counting cash register tills and preparing deposits, printing reports reflecting daily sales, investigating and reconciling discrepancies and placing cash drawer into safe and securing doors.
- Participates in loss prevention activities to include research and investigation of problematic issues and fraud. May work cooperatively with campus Public Safety to determine if loss or fraud has occurred.
- Prepares and develops flyers, pamphlets, signs and hard copy ads.
- Helps keep store clean and merchandise displayed in an appealing manner.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required. Retail experience which includes cashiering and working with the public required. Familiarity with point-of-sale systems required.
- Ability to supervise and mentor student workers.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule up to 25 hours a week during weeks that students are on campus.
- Ability to work with diverse students, staff, and visitors.
- Ability to effectively communicate both in writing and verbally.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and apply knowledge to new situations.
- Ability to remain calm under high pressure/difficult situations.
- Ability to resolve complaints/issues and defuse angry situations.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Background and/or experience in a health-related field or institution, preferred.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume and three professional references to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.