Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for Public Safety Officer – Part-Time.
Under the direction of the Director of Public Safety, the Public Safety Officer is responsible for all security activities involving campus patrol, requests for service, opening/closing of facilities, responding to emergency calls, parking requests, and monitoring, and all other duties as assigned. The part-time officer is expected to be available to work scheduled shifts and other events as assigned.
About Salem Academy and College
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college dedicated to developing the next generation of women leaders in health. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Respond to calls for service.
- Communicate effectively with faculty, staff, students, and public safety departmental members regarding campus policies, procedures, emergency processes.
- Answer and monitor telephone and radio systems.
- Respond to emergency-based assignments and directives by supervisors and other institutional administrators.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with all members of the department, and other campus constituencies.
- Be familiar with, locate and communicate information in the Salem student handbooks, employee manuals, and Emergency Response Plan manual.
- Computer skills necessary to complete incident reports create campus identification cards, email correspondence, parking registration, payroll system, etc.
- Be familiar with and able to operate all fire alarm systems and burglar alarm systems on campus.
- Maintain current knowledge of buildings and properties including but not limited to safety hazard checks, security checks, floor plans, and employees that maintain offices in each facility.
- Perform facility-type maintenance work as needed.
- Ability to work varying or rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, during inclement weather, and during other circumstances requiring public safety staffing.
- Provide constant foot patrol to the entire campus.
- Ability to use physical force to protect yourself or others if necessary and legitimately permissible.
- Be familiar with and use all issued equipment as required/needed.
- Have a thorough knowledge of campus properties and be able to provide direction to access locations.
- Performs and completes any other special tasks, responsibilities, and duties as assigned.
POSITION KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Excellent communication, oral, interpersonal, writing, and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of law enforcement/security best practices and procedures.
- Analytical skills and objective observance of situations and quick decision-making.
- Skill in managing situations firmly, courteously, tactfully, and impartially.
- De-escalation skills
- Ability to multi-task and work independently with demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship between diverse operating organizations.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to cope with changing requirements, and goals (sometimes rapid changes).
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- Ability to pass a background check
- Working knowledge of basic security techniques
- Previous security-related work experience preferred
- Ability to stay level headed and respond quickly in stressful situations
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, Salem students, staff, administration, and community
- Subject to random drug testing
- Ability to pass a background check
- At least 21 years of age
- Valid driver’s license
- Bend, squat, stand, kneel, walk, run, crawl, and climb.
- Regularly ascend/descend stairs.
- Walk for long distances and sit for varying lengths of time.
- Reach above shoulders, handle keys/tools/objects, push, pull, carry, or lift objects over 40 lbs.
- Work may necessitate accessing and working in confined spaces or high spaces.
- Must be physically able to operate the equipment required to perform duties.
- Work in an indoor/outdoor environment subject to changing temperatures.
- Perform small-scale troubleshooting, maintenance, and repairs.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or completed application (Download a Salem Employment Application (PDF) and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.