Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for Mercantile Store Associate. The Mercantile Store Associate assists customers with locating products in the Mercantile, answering questions and helping the customer decide what products to buy. The Mercantile Store Associate reports to the Mercantile Store Manager and works a schedule of 10 to 15 hours per week.
About Salem Academy and College:
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of women in health leadership. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Welcoming and engaging with customers as they enter the Mercantile
- Assessing customers’ needs and suggesting solutions to their problems
- Working with cash registers and processing payments
- Setting and attaining sales goals
- Giving customers advice about sales and promotions
- Using upselling techniques to increase store sales
- Recommending the best products to customers
- Assisting in maintaining and setting up merchandise displays on the sales floor
- Cleaning and restocking the store throughout the day, before opening and after closing
- Strong customer service skills including effective communication
- Ability to prioritize and organize workload
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- 1 year of retail or customer service experience
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. (A Salem Application is available on the Salem College Employment page and can be submitted in place of a resume.) The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.