Salem Academy & College Library seeks a part-time Library Specialist with customer service and supervisory experience to work evenings during the academic year. The Part-time Library Specialist will provide staff coverage and supervise student workers from 5-10 p.m., Sunday-Thursday, from late August to mid-May. Responsibilities include providing direct customer services, performing a variety of circulation tasks, reinforcing policies and procedures, resolving issues typically handled by full-time staff, as well as answering or referring general reference and informational questions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide staff coverage during evening hours (5-10 p.m.), Sunday - Thursday
- Supervise student workers and reinforce policies and procedures
- Provide direct assistance to faculty, staff, students and community members
- Circulation tasks, including collecting fines and answering interlibrary loan questions
- Troubleshoot library technology and refer issues to the IT Department as necessary
- Manage and troubleshoot facility-related issues and refer to the appropriate department
- Other circulation projects, as assigned
- Customer service experience
- Supervisory experience
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate with a variety of users
- Experience with Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Drive, etc) and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.)
Essential Physical Functions
While performing the responsibilities of the Library Specialist, the employee is required to sit for varying lengths of time; bend, reach, lift, push, and pull up to 15 pounds; occasionally stand, walk, and kneel and regularly ascend/descend stairs; use hands and fingers to handle or feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard; perform extended periods of work at a computer workstation, viewing computer monitor; perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction and receive detailed information through oral communication; express and exchange ideas by means of spoken word; and work in an office setting.
Please submit one PDF that includes an attached letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention to Director of Library. Only electronic applications will be accepted. Review of applications will begin July 1, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. A start date of August 25, 2021 is highly desirable. Successful candidates will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.