Salem College, a liberal arts college for Women in Winston - Salem, NC, announces an opening for the Head Coach for Women’s Basketball. The Head Coach will develop, implement and manage the overall day-to-day operations of the women’s basketball program, including teaching skills and strategies for the specific sport during practice and games in the traditional and non-traditional seasons.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position that reports to the Director of Athletics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and coordinate the day to day operations of the women’s basketball team, including teaching skills and strategies for the specific sport during practice and games in the traditional and non-traditional seasons
- Develop and implement a comprehensive recruiting plan to develop a highly competitive team
- Organize and direct a comprehensive student-athlete support program including promotion of the program, leadership development and student-athlete motivation through programs such as the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC)
- Coordinate team logistics with Athletic Department staff and other support personnel such as managers, scorekeepers, etc.
- Monitor and oversee the academic development of basketball student-athletes, ensuring academic progress to graduation
- With appropriate certification from a national recognized governing body, develop in women’s basketball student-athletes an understanding of proper sports nutrition, personal health and safe strength development
- Create a positive and healthy team culture that encourages learning and development
- Hire, supervise and evaluate assistant coaches
- Develop and implement a team-specific community service and learning initiatives
- Organize and direct team-specific fundraising initiatives as well as support program-wide fundraising initiatives such as the Salem Alumnae Reunion Golf Tournament
- Adhere to and support all rules, conditions and regulations as set forth by Salem College, Conference affiliations and the National Collegiate Athletic Association pertaining to aspects of the team’s management.
- The Candidate will be required to teach two physical education courses in the Physical Education Department over the course of the Academic Year
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or Master’s Degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, or Sports Management required
- Four - Six years collegiate coaching and/or playing experience required
- Successful completion of the NCAA Division III Rules Test for Coaches in a timely manner
- Current certification in First Aid/CPR (AED)
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work evening, weekends, and holidays as play and practice season schedule dictates
- Experience with FrontRush recruiting database management
- Valid US driver’s license
- The ability to work inside and outside and to perform duties in various weather conditions.
- The ability to stand for varying lengths of time and traveling moderate distances to perform work at the athletic event locations.
- The ability to bend, reach, lift, push, and pull up to 25 pounds.
- The ability to move athletic event-related equipment and materials to and from athletic event sites.
The position is available immediately and will remain open until filled. The anticipated start date for the position is March 15, 2019. To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position, a resume, and the contact information for two professional references to Patricia Hughes, Director of Athletics, at email@example.com. The review of applications begins immediately.
Salem College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, Color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in its employment practices. Salem College provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees and encourages women and underrepresented minorities to apply.