Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for Head Coach - Women’s Basketball.
The Head Coach – Women’s Basketball will develop, implement and manage the overall day-to-day operations of the women’s basketball program, including teaching skills and strategies for the specific sport during practice and games in the traditional and non-traditional seasons.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position that reports to the Director of Athletics.
About Salem Academy and College:
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of women in health leadership. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and coordinate the day to day operations of the women’s basketball team, including teaching skills and strategies for the specific sport during practice and games in the traditional and non-traditional seasons
- Develop and implement a comprehensive recruiting plan to develop a highly competitive team
- Organize and direct a comprehensive student-athlete support program including promotion of the program, leadership development and student-athlete motivation through programs such as the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC)
- Coordinate team logistics with Athletic Department staff and other support personnel such as managers, scorekeepers, etc.
- Monitor and oversee the academic development of basketball student-athletes, ensuring academic progress to graduation
- With appropriate certification from a national recognized governing body, develop in women’s basketball student-athletes an understanding of proper sports nutrition, personal health and safe strength development
- Create a positive and healthy team culture that encourages learning and development
- Hire, supervise and evaluate assistant coaches
- Develop and implement a team-specific community service and learning initiatives
- Organize and direct team-specific fundraising initiatives as well as support program-wide fundraising initiatives such as the Salem Spirit Golf Tournament
- Adhere to and support all rules, conditions and regulations as set forth by Salem College, Conference affiliations and the National Collegiate Athletic Association pertaining to aspects of the team’s management.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s Preferred)
- Three – four years collegiate coaching and/or playing experience required
- Successful completion of the NCAA Division III Rules Test for Coaches in a timely manner
- Current certification in First Aid/CPR (AED)
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work evening, weekends, and holidays as play and practice season schedule dictates
- Experience with FrontRush recruiting database management
- Valid US driver’s license
While performing the responsibilities of the Head Coach – Women’s Basketball, the employee is required to sit for varying lengths of time; bend, reach, lift, push, and pull up to 25 pounds; occasionally stand, walk, and kneel and regularly ascend/descend stairs; use hands and fingers to handle or feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard; perform extended periods of work at a computer workstation, view a computer monitor; perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and receive detailed information through oral communication; express and exchange ideas by means of spoken word; and work in an office setting.
The position is available immediately and will remain open until filled. The anticipated start date for the position is October 1, 2022. To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position, a resume, and the contact information for two professional references to JJ Antoine, Director of Athletics, at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The review of applications begins immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.