Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for a full time Financial Aid Counselor. The Financial Aid Counselor’s duties include counseling and advising students and parents on the various financial aid programs, assisting with the administration of one or more federal, state, or institutional financial aid programs, evaluating financial aid applications in order to determine student eligibility for various financial aid programs, and collecting data and keeping accurate records. The Financial Aid Counselor reports to the Assistant Vice President for Financial Aid.
About Salem Academy and College
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college dedicated to developing the next generation of women leaders in health. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Counsel students and parents about the financial aid process, loan debt, and their other financial aid options
- Greet students and other guests as they visit the office
- Supervise office work-study students
- Serve as single point of contact (SPOC) for Unaccompanied/Homeless Youth
- Serve on Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Committee
- Conduct financial aid presentations to current and prospective students on and off campus
- Assist Assistant Director with any processing procedures (drop/add, SAP review, student awards list-balancing, etc.)
- Assist Assistant Vice President with Professional Judgement and Dependency Override requests, specifically processing paperwork (including required third-party documentation as required) to complete the application file for review and decision-making by the AVP.
- Complete document tracking, which consists of requesting information as well as recording and processing documents based on federal regulations.
- Maintain student files
- Maintain outside scholarship database
- Collate and assemble, as necessary, outgoing mail. Make daily runs to the on-campus mail room; open and process/distribute incoming mail as appropriate
- Complete other duties as assigned, specifically traffic and phone interruptions, geared towards enabling the Assistant VP and the Assistant Director to have longer periods of uninterrupted program and project-focused worktime.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- One year of successful professional work experience is required; experience in financial aid is preferred.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, with students, parents, high school counselors, fellow employees, college administrators, and other constituents of the College.
- Must be comfortable speaking before groups of students and parents.
- Must be able to relate effectively to all publics and must have strong organizational and time management skills.
- The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
- Background and/or experience in a health-related field or institution, preferred.
To apply, please email a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to: Paul Coscia, Assistant Vice President for Financial Aid. The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.