Financial Accountant (Full-time with Benefits) Position Summary:
Salem College, a liberal arts college for Women in Winston - Salem, NC, announces an opening for a Financial Accountant. Reporting to the Controller, the Financial Accountant plays a crucial role in the daily operations of the College and Academy Finance Office. The Financial Accountant is responsible for assisting the Controller in maintaining the accuracy of all general ledger accounts, serves as backup to the Disbursements and Receipts Coordinator position, monitors operating cash reserves, works with Salem community concerning departmental finances, coordinates monthly closings, and assists with year-end closings/audits.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position that reports to the Controller.
Essential Job Functions:
- Create and post monthly journal entries
- Reconcile multiple general ledger accounts and lead Salem constituents to rectify discrepancies
- Lead Business Office staff in creating processes improvements and changes
- Coordinate monthly general ledger closing process and issue departmental reports
- Manage operating cash and make recommendations to management when necessary
- Track restricted funds activity and work with Salem constituents to ensure adherence to donor restrictions
- Assist with financial closings and annual audits
- Serve as backup to Accounts Payable and Receipts Coordinator
- Address department budget inquiries from Salem community
- Conduct financial training to Salem community members
- Apply sound Accounting principles and judgment in recording of entries and critical review of entries within the system.
- Assist Controller and CFO with projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Three-to-five years of related experience
- Strong understanding of accounting principles
- Proficiency (intermediate level or above) in Microsoft Excel
- Working knowledge of general accounting / finance systems
- Ability to effectively communicate, interact with, and support effective partnerships with customers, superiors, and peers
- Self-motivation, and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to think strategically
- Non-profit/higher education accounting experience
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge, Education Edge, and Raiser’s Edge products ERP system efficiency creation
- Ability to lift 25 pounds occasionally and up to 10 pounds frequently
- Ability to ascend and descend stairs, ramps, and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms
- Ability to perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction and ability to receive detailed information through oral communication
- Ability to express and exchange ideas by means of spoken word
- Ability to visually perform projects on a computer terminal
- Ability to work in office setting on a college campus
The position is available immediately and will remain open until filled.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume to Scott Morin, Controller, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salem College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, Color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in its employment practices. Salem College provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees and encourages women and underrepresented minorities to apply.