Salem Academy and College invites applications for a full-time faculty position in Exercise Science. This tenure-track position is scheduled to begin in January 2023. We are seeking a faculty member with undergraduate teaching expertise in exercise science, and scholarly expertise in a field related to exercise science, who will also support Salem’s new health-related academic programs. Further, we seek applicants who have a demonstrated commitment to educating a diverse student body and facilitating efforts in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
About Salem Academy and College:
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of women in health leadership. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Standard teaching load of seven courses per year, which may include:
- EXER 100: Introduction to Sport and Exercise Science
- EXER 310: Exercise Physiology (with lab)
- EXER 320: Biomechanics of Sport and Exercise
- EXER 330: Measurement, Assessment and Evaluation of Exercise and Sport
- EXER 340: Science of Strength and Conditioning
- EXER 350: ACSM Exercise Physiologist Certification Preparatory Course
- One-course release in the first year of employment
- Support students’ independent studies and advise/mentor students
- Engage students in scholarly research
- Work on other teaching and learning projects as needs and interests arise
- Participate in service to the Exercise Science Program, the Natural Sciences and Mathematics Division, and the College, including committee membership
- PhD in Exercise Science or closely related discipline
- Experience teaching various exercise science courses as the instructor of record within a higher education setting
- Experience mentoring undergraduate and/or graduate students
- Active record and program of scholarship
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching excellence and innovation at the undergraduate level, including active learning and engagement of students with diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- Excellent interpersonal and English communication skills – in the classroom, with colleagues, in written work, and in listening
- Demonstrated ability to engage in innovative projects involving students
- At least three years of undergraduate teaching experience as the instructor of record
- Experience teaching preparatory courses for American College of Sports Medicine certification at an undergraduate level
- Experience teaching undergraduate courses in sport and exercise psychology, fundamentals of coaching, women in sport, or exercise science organization and administration
- Experience with course and curriculum development
While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to sit for varying lengths of time; occasionally stand, walk, and kneel and regularly ascend/descend stairs; use hands and fingers to handle or feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard; perform extended periods of work at a computer workstation, view a computer monitor; perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and receive detailed information through oral communication; express and exchange ideas by means of spoken word; and work in an office setting.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae; a diversity, equity, and inclusion statement; a statement of teaching philosophy; and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Exercise Science Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled. If you have questions regarding this position, you may email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.