Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for Director of Special Events and Community Outreach. The Director of Special Events and Community Outreach designs and executes a comprehensive special events strategy that enhances and builds positive community relationships and Academy and College campus vibrancy. Increases public awareness of Salem’s mission, achievements, and priorities, and supports philanthropic support for institutional priorities. Articulates event objectives and outcomes; evaluates efficacy of events. Develops, plans, and manages individual events to advance relationships with Salem Academy & College prospective donors and students, alumnae, while engaging faculty, students, and staff as appropriate.
About Salem Academy and College
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college dedicated to developing the next generation of women leaders in health. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a series of content rich events that educate and engage Salem’s external constituencies.
- Design event program/content, schedule, and coach event speakers, develop communications and marketing research, and event-follow up to achieve desired outcomes.
- Coordinate event logistics, including catering, venue, transportation, signage, decorations, audio/visual, invitation lists, invitations, programs, and presentation materials, as well as drafting event briefing documents for the President and other staff.
- In collaboration with Academy and College colleagues, determine invitation criteria for special events. Organize and review invitation lists for consistency and accuracy.
- Determine and communicate campus policies to all external constituents.
- Manage appropriate written agreements including facilities use agreements under the guidance of the Assistant Vice President for Administration and Compliance.
- In collaboration with senior Academy and College colleagues and the vice president, provide support for meetings of high-level volunteer groups, including campaign committees.
- Coordinate with trustee, alumnae and parent hosts regarding on campus event details for the Academy and College.
- Develop and institute a plan to thank and recognize hosts, speakers, and volunteers.
- Write event briefings and disseminate to staff, event hosts, speakers and others as needed.
- Maintain a Master Events Calendar and other calendars with most current event information, coordinate scheduling with Academy and College staff.
- Work cooperatively with others and accept direction from supervisors.
- Major events will include traditional Academy and College celebrations on campus, convocation, baccalaureate services, and commencement.
- Collaborates close with the physical plant staff on facilities logistics.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Seven to ten years related experience; higher education and campus events management.
- Effective interpersonal skills, listening, diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships with all constituencies on campus and external.
- Relevant technology skills including presentation, audio/visual equipment, desktop applications, relational databases and master calendar software applications.
- Must be incredibly organized and able to manage multiple events concurrently.
- Must be detailed oriented, able to work well and maintain composure under pressure, and solve problems.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work after hours and on weekends for some events.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.