Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for Director of Internships and Pre-Professional Advising position. The Director of Internships and Pre-Professional Advising will report directly to the Executive Director of the Center for Global Leadership and Career Innovation.
The position will involve actively engaging the institutional constituents (faculty, staff, students, community partners, and employers) in advising and programming to better prepare and pipeline the students to health professional & graduate schools, and health specific career opportunities. Through critical and creative thinking, and by imagining possibilities for solutions that do not currently exist or are not apparent, this individual will engage the community to create or identify internships locally and nationally, and strategically advise students to create meaningful health-related careers to change the world.
About Salem Academy and College
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college dedicated to developing the next generation of women leaders in health. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include but are Not Limited to the Following:
- Maintain web presence, publicity, and internship/job search site.
- Design and execute evaluation and assessment models and distribute reports as required.
Health-Related Pre-Professional Advising:
- Develop student-centered mentoring and advising relationships by using basic core counseling techniques such as listening, reflection, and empathic understanding.
- Develop and present individual and group advising around career exploration, developing plans of study, major selection, and admission requirements for graduate and professional school, conduct mock interviews and other preparatory workshops, and assist with facilitating committee letters for professional schools in partnership with Health Sciences faculty.
- Maintain a comprehensive database of advisees and document advising sessions and website updates using college software platforms.
- Monitor health employment trends affecting student preparation and career opportunities.
- Maintain and communicate a knowledge base of health career information resources and technologies as well as an understanding of the labor market, employment trends, and recruiting strategies and techniques.
- Participate in regional and national advising meetings to increase institutional networks.
Internship Planning, Partnership Development, Outreach, and Implementation:
- Recruit and support interns and intern hosts, developmental advising of undergraduates, resolving difficulties that arise for interns or hosts, maintaining internship records, and evaluating internship placements.
- Collaborate with internship sites in identifying their needs and creating/maintaining partnerships.
- Design, execute, and interpret internship programs and policies, maintaining inclusiveness and following legal and ethical guidelines.
- Facilitate and implement employer recruiting and marketing/branding strategies to gain appropriate visibility and connections on campus for the employer.
- Establish and measure effective student learning outcomes for programs and events.
- Master’s Degree in a health-related field.
- Demonstrated 5-7+ years’ experience working with health-related employers.
- Effective organization and human relations skills.
- Previous experience working with and/or advising students is preferred.
- Proficiency with a variety of technology and experience with Career Management Systems.
- Familiarity with hiring trends, work settings, undergraduate and career counseling.
- Comprehensive understanding or experience with work both inside and outside of higher education.
- Post-secondary advising/counseling experience or professional experience relevant to the health professions.
- Experience with health professions advising or advising for application to advanced education and/or professional programs.
- Experience presenting educational content in large group and individual setting.
- Experience compiling and analyzing information for leadership/administrative decisions.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae and three professional references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.