Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for a Director of Facilities. The Director of Facilities will work as a part of Salem’s management team, reporting directly to the Vice President of Finance and Administration, CFO. The experienced and passionate leader in this role will oversee Salem Academy and College facilities in a manner that aligns with the strategic, capital, sustainability and annual operating plans. As Salem prepares to celebrate 250 years of educating women, this position will play a critical role for this celebration.
Responsibilities include overseeing physical plant operations including all work order and building automation systems, grounds, maintenance and custodial services along with mailroom operations to provide an attractive, welcoming, safe and healthy and comfortable environment for students, faculty, staff and guests. Manages capital, maintenance and repair activities as well as contracted services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include but are Not Limited to the Following
- Collaborates with the Vice President of Finance and Administration to develop facilities, capital, maintenance and operating plans.
- Directs, supervises and evaluates department staff; ensures staff receive training related to specific job tasks and responsibilities.
- Directs, schedules and oversees external contractors (electricians, plumbers, excavators, roofers, painters, landscapers, etc.)
- Schedules and supervises maintenance workers engaged in building and grounds upkeep and repair; responsible for safety and security, electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and ventilation services.
- Develops and monitors facilities and mailroom department budgets; orders equipment and supplies and monitors inventory; and makes requests for capital outlay expenditures as needed.
- Develops, implements and supervises deferred and preventative maintenance and renovation programs for buildings, grounds, mechanical and electrical, utility, and safety and security systems.
- Supervises custodial workers and oversees any contracts related to cleaning buildings and premises.
- Supervises mailroom staff and activities to ensure efficient and effective campus mail center and related activities.
- Ensures that facilities meet safety and building codes and physical ADA and accessibility compliance standards; works closely with staff and local and state officials to meet college health and safety expectations and OSHA requirements.
- Prepares specifications for physical plant projects; estimates costs of equipment, materials labor and supplies; prepares bid specifications for projects, equipment and contracted services; oversees site and building projects performed by outside contractors.
- Develops cost-effective campus energy management and facility sustainability programs; supervises the operations, maintenance and repair of such systems and programs.
- Ensures the proper disposal of hazardous and controlled wastes in compliance with regulations and guidelines; works directly with outside agencies such as OSHA, NCOSHA, and local and state health departments as required.
- Evaluates the need for and arranges facilities personnel training sessions (bloodborne pathogens, HAZCOM, and other OSHA and job-related training).
- Oversees fleet vehicles maintenance.
- Manages facilities, physical plant, and mailroom shipping / receiving activities.
- Contributes to strategic planning by evaluating and projecting future facility needs and proposing options to achieve them.
- Serves on campus committees, task forces, and emergency operations teams as directed by administration to support responsive actions related to physical plant, facilities, and mailroom operations.
- Performs other related duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Facilities Management, Construction Management, Business Administration or closely related field. Equivalent education, certification or experience may be substituted for the degree.
- Five (5) years of progressive experience, which includes supervision in facilities planning, maintenance and operations.
- Experience and success with interpreting and implementing rules, regulations, and codes related to facility development, maintenance, operations, environmental health and safety.
- Computer proficiency; experience using spreadsheets, word processing and other management software.
- Experience monitoring or managing department, project or grant budgets.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Facilities Director Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.