Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for a Director of Athletics, Recreation and Physical Education. The Director of Athletics, Recreation and Physical Education will be part of the executive leadership team, reporting directly to the President of Salem Academy and College. The experienced and passionate leader in this role will oversee Salem Academy and College athletics in a manner that aligns with the mission, vision, values, and strategic objectives of the Institution and Athletics Department.
Responsibilities include directing and leading student athletes according to the mission, vision, values, and strategic objectives of the Institution and Athletic Department and within the guidelines and principles of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III, USA South Conference, and the North Carolina Independent School Athletic Association (NCISAA). The Director ensures overall program compliance with NCAA, USA South Athletic Conference, and NCISAA policies and procedures. The Director of Athletics is responsible for developing and supervising the physical education instruction, sport sponsorships and athletic administration at the Institution. The Director will also collaborate with other campus leaders to develop the College’s Health Leadership transformation. The Director will serve as a relationship partner with all constituencies in promoting and advancing Salem Academy and College athletics and the mission of the Institution.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead, plan, manage, administer, and direct all aspects of the Salem Academy and College Athletic Department, including the recruitment and retention of College student athletes; support of Academy student athletes; advancement of promotional and fund-raising efforts; and other internal and external activities.
- Ensure campus compliance with NCAA Division III regulations, Title IX for athletes and athletic staff, NCISAA regulations, Institutional policies, and/or other applicable local, state, and federal athletics-related regulations and requirements; ensure necessary reports are filed to include EADA filing and all reports for NCAA. Establish, review, enforce and oversee Athletic Department policies and procedures.
- Prepare and oversee the annual budget for the Athletic Department with the Assistant Director of Athletics. Ensure that each program conforms equally to Salem budgetary guidelines and programs are cost effective.
- Create, implement, and assess annual goals and outcomes for the Athletic Department.
- Foster positive relationships between Athletics and the wider campus community.
- Be innovative and demonstrate a willingness to learn and utilize the latest information within athletics to maintain a health leadership minded approach.
- Participate with various departments in campus wide retention efforts.
- Master’s degree required
- Minimum of five years of administrative experience preferably as a Director or an Assistant Athletics Director
- Proficiency with NCAA Division III rules and regulations
- Knowledge of high school athletic policy and procedures
- Teaching experience preferred
- Proven track record of strong leadership, management, and supervisory skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications, organizational, and computer skills
- Demonstrated experience with fund-raising and athletic recruitment
- A collaborative management approach with relationship-building skills, experience building a team, and leading and/or supervising the work of others
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and a high degree of cultural competence and respect for a wide range of identities and experiences
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills with the ability to deliver information in a clear, concise, and professional manner to multiple stakeholder groups
- Proven leadership and management skills, particularly as they relate to establishing and communicating priorities, advancing innovative practices, building strategic partnerships, and solving problems
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
To apply, please submit a detailed letter of application, résumé, statement demonstrating commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion, and list of at least four professional references (with telephone numbers and/or email addresses) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will start to be reviewed on June 7, 2021 and all applications will receive full consideration until the position is filled. The anticipated starting date for the position is August 1, 2021.
Salem Academy and College is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law in its employment