Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for Director of Annual Giving. The Director of Annual Giving is responsible for the overall operation of the Annual Fund program, which provides unrestricted operating support for the Academy and College. The Director of Annual Giving is responsible for the development and execution of all strategic plans as they relate to annual giving initiatives: direct mail, email, social media, crowdfunding, personal solicitations, and volunteer management. The position is responsible for building a broad base of support from individual constituents through creative new strategies. The Director of Annual Giving reports directly to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement.
About Salem Academy and College:
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of women in health leadership. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and execute strategic plans for the solicitation, stewardship, and cultivation of annual giving constituents, especially in the context of the overall Institutional Advancement goals for each fiscal year.
- Develop and coordinate an aggressive donor acquisition and retention program.
Direct Mail and Communications
- Manage direct mail, email, and social media solicitations to meet annual giving goals (overall goals, and metrics within specific segments, multi-year pledge goals, etc.)
- Manage strategy and communication around Giving Tuesday
- Manage giving days through the GiveCampus platform
- Assist with monthly alumnae e-newsletters
- Work with VP and finance to establish annual giving goals for the Academy and College
- Create metrics-based strategic initiatives to achieve goals
- Engage with annual fund donors throughout the year via phone, zoom and in-person meetings, and events
- Manage small portfolio of society donors (<$10,000) to cultivate, solicit and steward annually
- Solicit matching-gift challenges for group fundraising efforts
- Focus efforts on renewals and increasing giving levels of society level donors ($1,200–$9,999) through planned cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation moves.
- Coordinate closely with major gifts staff and key volunteers to manage prospects
- Assist with institutional, alumnae, and donor events. Some travel is required.
- Manage class officers during reunion giving cycle
- Oversee the Reunion Giving programs and work with Office of Alumnae Engagement to ensure seamless training and best results for reunion leaders
- Coordinate with the Office of Alumnae Engagement to ensure Alumnae Boards are engaged in best ways to promote and carry out the goals of the Annual Fund
Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in fundraising, business, communications, non-profit management, marketing, social sciences, or a related field.
- Three to five years of related professional experience.
- Highly proficient computer skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of internal and external constituents including faculty, staff, students, alumnae, parents, donors, volunteers, and friends of the College.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through the development and composition of professional correspondence and formal presentations.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively multi-task and produce accurate professional work products under demanding timelines.
- Ability to establish cooperative, effective working relationships.
- Outstanding planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Proven ability to display discretion in dealing with sensitive, confidential issues.
- Sound judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Prior experience with development or fundraising software.
- Prior experience with crowdfunding, social media marketing.
- Volunteer recruitment and management experience.
- Background and/or experience in a health-related field or institution, preferred.
- Prior experience in Raiser’s Edge, Give Campus and Net Community.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae and three professional references to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.