Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for Custodian. Under the general direction of the Executive Director of Operations, the Custodian reports directly to the Lead Custodian commonly providing routine cleaning, project cleaning, setups for functions, and any other duties assigned. Custodians must be physically fit to perform tasks appropriately. The hours of work may vary between 6:00 am - 5:00 pm for this full time position.
About Salem Academy and College
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college dedicated to developing the next generation of women leaders in health. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work cooperatively and effectively with all members of the department, and other campus constituencies.
- Keeps building and property in clean and orderly condition.
- Performs routine maintenance activities.
- Performs heavy cleaning duties, cleaning functions specific to the assigned facilities and/or based on needs for seasonal/project requirements.
- Performs general, routine custodial duties, including dusting, sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, vacuuming, and cleaning.
- Gathers and empties trash, disposes trash into compactors and/or dumpsters, and bags trash for proper disposal. Separates recyclable material and places them in the proper receptacle.
- Scrubs, sanitizes, and supplies buildings, and restroom facilities.
- Dusts furniture, walls, and equipment.
- Cleans windows, mirrors, and partitions with soap and other cleansers.
- Mixes cleaning solutions and chemicals in containers in preparation for cleaning, according to instructions.
- Follows procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power machinery to prevent damage to floors and fixtures.
- Cleans and polishes fixtures and furniture.
- Shampoos or steam-cleans carpets and rugs.
- Assists with managing inventory of cleaning supplies.
- Drives vehicles required to perform or travel to cleaning work, including Salem vehicles, vans, or industrial vacuum cleaners.
- Notifies managers regarding the need for repairs or additions to building operating systems.
- Unlocks doors, ensuring doors are locked after cleaning areas.
- Reports needs and concerns to supervisor/appropriate staff, which may include submitting or recommending work orders and checking supply levels within on-campus buildings and residence halls, responsible for reporting concerns related to on-campus residents.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Assists in on-the-job training of new staff on routine procedures.
- Report issues with vendors, students/faculty/staff/parents, etc. to supervisor.
- May assist or perform snow removal activities and minor maintenance, such as replacing light bulbs, adjusting furniture, or other similar activities.
- This position will have daily contact with internal individuals (students/faculty /staff/parents, etc.).
- Ability to work rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, during inclement weather, and during other circumstances requiring custodial staffing.
- Performs other tasks, duties, and responsibilities as assigned.
Position, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Self-motivated with the ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
- Ability to operate vacuums and other related equipment.
- Ability to safely use cleaning equipment and supplies.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Ability to understand written and verbal communications
- Excellent communication, oral, interpersonal, and writing skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently with demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Ability and skill to give appropriate feedback to coworkers and supervisors.
- Ability to communicate across levels of staff.
- Knowledge of custodial/housekeeping best practices, procedures, and terms associated with housekeeping, maintenance, and physical plant operations.
- Knowledge of inventory control practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship between diverse operating groups, personnel, and organizations.
- Ability to organize work and maintain schedules.
- Ability to cope and adapt to changing requirements, needs, and goals (sometimes rapidly changing).
- Ability to evaluate situations and recommend action and/or cost-effective solutions.
- Ability to perform repetitive motion for long periods of time.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technology, computers, and computerized maintenance management system (CMMS)
- Ability to efficiently and accurately enter, edit, mark as completed, add notes, complete work orders, etc. within CMMS system.
- Background and / or experience in a health-related field or institution, preferred.
- Submit to random drug testing
- Ability to pass a background check
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license
- Bend, squat, stand, kneel, walk, run, crawl, and climb.
- Regularly ascend/descend stairs.
- Walk for long distances and sit for varying lengths of time.
- Reach above shoulders, handle keys/tools/objects, push, pull, carry, or lift over 40 lbs.
- Work may necessitate accessing and working in confined spaces or high spaces.
- Must be physically able to operate the equipment required to perform duties.
- Work in an indoor/outdoor environment subject to changing temperatures.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, climb ladders, and work at heights
- Considerable physical activity. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing or pulling required of objects up to 40 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of the job.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
- Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Exposure to cleaning agents and chemicals such as disinfectants, graffiti remover, floor stripper, floor wax, propane, paint thinner.
- Perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction and receive detailed information through oral communication; express and exchange ideas by means of verbal communication.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. An application is also available for completion on the Salem college Employment page. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.