Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for a full-time – 10 month Chemistry and STEM Teacher – Salem Academy. The position reports to the Director of Curriculum & Instruction and College Counselor. Our ideal candidate is an innovative, creative teacher with content knowledge in all levels of high school science/math and who is excited to share their passion with high school girls.
About Salem Academy and College:
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of women in health leadership. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preference to a candidate able to teach high school Chemistry and/or Physics and corresponding labs.
- Based on candidate skills and experience, additional teaching duties could include upper-level science, mathematics, finance, engineering/robotics, or computer science courses.
- Teaching robotics includes working with local professional mentors, partnering with community sponsors, and periodic evening & weekend meetings with the competition team.
- Develop curriculum for semester-long STEM course offerings.
- Teach an exploratory/experiential learning short-course during the two-week January Term Session.
- Develop lesson plans which reflect the curricular goals.
- Collaborate on curricular improvements as needed.
- Serve as an academic advisor to 4 – to 6 students.
- Serve as a faculty advisor to student clubs and organizations as assigned.
- Chaperone student activities (on- and off-campus) as needed.
- Attend Assembly and other Salem Academy events
- Adhere to school guidelines regarding grading and other recordkeeping duties.
- Maintain regular contact with academic advisors, students, and their families.
- Comply with all rules and regulations established as school policy.
- Work effectively with other faculty, staff, and administration at the Academy and College.
- The ability to provide instruction remotely if and/or when the need arises
- Develop and maintain a course site in Google Classroom.
- Ability to use Google Suite products.
Additional Duties (as assigned) may include:
- The ability to provide supervision in the Academy dormitory during the school day until 5:00 p.m. on some days
- Attend and support school events that occur after hours and on weekends.
- Perform all other duties appropriate to employment as determined by the Head of School.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Background and/or experience in a STEAM-related field or education institution.
- 3-5 years of experience teaching science at the high school and/or college level or comparable work experience.
- Competency with educational technology, including Zoom, Google Suite, and online learning management platforms.
- Ability to combine academic rigor with engaging instruction.
- Actively consider curriculum and pedagogy through the lenses of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Project management, organizational, and leadership skills.
- Collaborative, growth-oriented, and motivated to continue developing as a teacher.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for interacting with students, parents, and colleagues.
While performing the responsibilities of the Chemistry and STEM Teacher, the employee is required to sit for varying lengths of time; bend, reach, lift, push, and pull up to 25 pounds; occasionally stand, walk, and kneel and regularly ascend/descend stairs; use hands and fingers to handle or feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard; perform extended periods of work at a computer workstation, viewing computer monitor; perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction and receive detailed information through oral communication; express and exchange ideas using spoken word, and work in an office setting.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae and three professional references to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.