Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its
founding date of 1772, invites applications for Biology Lab Coordinator.
The Biology Lab Coordinator teaches Biology labs as directed by the Chair of Biology.
In addition, the Biology Lab Coordinator prepares and organizes materials and equipment for Biology labs;
dismantles and cleans up lab materials; orders, grows, collects, maintains inventory, and maintains records of supplies,
equipment, cultures and specimens; assists in annual budget planning and tracking for the labs; and performs related duties
About Salem Academy and College
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college dedicated to developing the next generation of women leaders in health. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Teaching Principles of Biology labs:
- Create the lab activities, and update as necessary.
- Write the lab handouts.
- Write and grade a quiz for each lab.
- Write and grade a lab assignment for each lab.
- Write and grade a final lab exam.
- Maintain a webpage for the lab through Moodle (the Learning Management System).
- Manage lab grading records and provide them to the instructor of the lecture.
- Maintain communication and coordination with the instructor of the lecture.
Additional teaching responsibilities
- Serve as a backup lab instructor for all labs.
- Serve as co-instructor in Biology 100 (Cell & Molecular Biology) lab and Biology 310 (Advanced Genetics) lab.
Biology Lab coordination:
- Supervise and participate in the preparation, set-up, dismantling and clean-up of all biology labs.
- Supervise and instruct departmental work study students and volunteer teaching assistants.
- Serve as departmental compliance manager for biological safety and chemical safety regulations.
- Manage the departmental budget, with oversight from the department chair.
- Procure, and maintain the inventory records for, lab supplies and equipment.
- Coordinate equipment maintenance.
- Coordinate the use of a credit card across the departments of the Natural Sciences and Mathematics Division.
Other departmental and institutional duties:
- Attend departmental meetings.
- Attend faculty meetings (held monthly during the academic year).
- Participate in student recruitment activities.
Program Assessment Assistance
- Provide input regarding the yearly Program Assessment.
- Assist with the resource inventory for, and provide input and feedback regarding, the Program Self-Study that is submitted every seven years.
Senior Seminar mentorship and evaluations
- Consult with senior departmental majors about their senior thesis topics.
- Attend and help evaluate senior thesis presentations.
- Commitment to promoting an inclusive educational and work environment
- Student-centered focus
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; graduate degree or postgraduate certification in biology or related discipline preferred
- Experience teaching biology or related discipline at the high school, community college, or college level
- Prior work as a coordinator for a biological laboratory, or similar, relevant work experience
- Familiarity with standard cell and molecular biology techniques (including light microscopy, PCR, gel electrophoresis, and macromolecule blotting and probing)
- Familiarity with standard microbiological lab management (including media preparation, cell culture, sterile technique, autoclaving and other waste management)
- Familiarity with chemical hygiene and environmental health guidelines and procedures
- Prior experience managing budgets and purchasing supplies and equipment within a limited budget
- Familiarity with standard computer applications for such functions as word processing, managing spreadsheets, email, and internet browsing
- Successful supervisory experience, preferably of student workers
- Close attention to detail
- Strong communication and quantitative skills
- Ability to follow directions, both written and verbal
- Ability to provide clear directions, both written and verbal
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae and three professional references and contact information to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.