Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for Assistant Director of Athletics for Compliance and Internal Operations. The Assistant Director of Athletics for Compliance and Internal Operations (“Assistant Director of Athletics”) will be responsible for ensuring department compliance with applicable laws and regulations, NCAA rules, guidelines, and procedures, and USA South Athletic Conference rules and practice requirements. In addition, the Assistant Director of Athletics will work with Director of Athletics to manage day to day internal operations for the athletic department and assist in all business management, administrative, and supervisory aspects of the program, including personnel administration, facility management, event management, scheduling, and support for community engagement. This position reports to the Director of Athletics.
About Salem Academy and College:
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of women in health leadership. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide compliance education and training to student-athletes, staff, and other Salem College community members on all applicable NCAA and USA South Conference rules, regulations, procedures, and requirements.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of NCAA and USA South Conference rules, regulations, procedures, and requirements in order to provide accurate guidance, educational training, and interpretation for the athletic department.
- Maintain athletic department documentation in compliance with all applicable NCAA and USA South Conference rules, regulations, procedures, and requirements and institutional policies and report any applicable violations.
- Monitor recruiting activities (official & unofficial visits), traditional and non-traditional seasons, eligibility requirements, and academic progress for all student-athletes.
- Assist the Director of Athletics on the preparation and generation of NCAA reports and work with other Salem College senior staff on the NCAA Financial Reports and EADA report as needed.
- Direct and ensure supervision of academic support services as needed by the coaching staff to assist the development and progress of student-athletes.
- Serve as a liaison to the Admissions Office, Registrar’s Office, Financial Aid, Student Affairs, Residence Life, Faculty Athletic Representative, Office of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Compliance, Title IX Office, and other departments as necessary as it relates to compliance matters and student athlete welfare.
- Serve as a member of the Early Alert Student Concerns team to ensure that student-athletes are receiving appropriate resources and support services academically, socially, mentally, and as otherwise needed.
- Coordinate and collaborate with campus departments to ensure an efficient and streamlined student-athlete orientation process and serve as a resource and mentor for all student-athletes.
- Assist the Director of Athletics in the planning, development, budgeting, supervision and conduct of the intercollegiate athletics program.
- Coordinate all team travel for all intercollegiate teams
- Recommend fiscal requirements for the sports and monitor revenues, expenses, and reconciliations related to team expenditures.
- Collaborate with other key staff members on the planning and direction of event and game day management for all Salem College home athletic events to promote a professional game experience and ensure the safety of the participants and spectators.
- Assist in the direction and coordination of all community outreach activities of all Salem athletic administrators, coaches, and student-athletes to promote positive public relations.
- Coordinate with the Director of Athletics on all NCAA and USA South postseason championship events, including bids, staff assignments, event management, and associated budgets and reconciliations.
- Game day supervision duties split with Director of Athletics.
- Supervise and assist with the completion of all game contracts for all sports.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred in relevant field
- Experience: Minimum of two years of athletic administrative experience and familiarity with NCAA and college conference compliance requirements.
- Self-directed, motivated, and demonstration of strong initiative
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, maintain confidentiality, and to supervise others
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work with diverse populations, as part of a team, and collaborate with others
- Demonstrated NCAA and college Conference compliance knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to monitor and maintain compliance with institutional policies and procedures.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume and three professional references to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.