Salem College, a liberal arts college for women in Winston-Salem, NC, announces an opening for the Admissions Counselor. The Admissions Counselor is responsible for developing and implementing a strategic plan to assist in the recruitment process. Represents Salem College during on and off-campus events. The Admissions Counselor will develop and maintain in-depth, up-to-date knowledge of Salem’s academic and extracurricular programs, as well as the expertise to conduct campus tours as needed.
Salem College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position that reports to the AVP of Admissions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as a member of the Admissions team in the Office of Admissions at Salem Academy and College
- Develops and implements a strategic plan to assist in the recruitment process
- Represents Salem College during on and off-campus events
- Develop and maintain in-depth, up-to-date knowledge of Salem’s academic and extracurricular programs, as well as the expertise to conduct campus tours as needed.
- Responsible for identifying, recruiting, admitting and enrolling academically qualified students in accordance with the philosophy of Salem College
- Keep in frequent contact with students, parents and counselors, demonstrating a level of understanding and sensitivity to the needs of all students.
- Responsible for seasonal travel, including visits with prospective students at college fairs, individual high school visits, and planned social events.
- Manages the evaluation of completed files by making initial decisions for prospective students.
- Guides prospective students and their families through the application and scholarship process.
- Meets or exceeds new student enrollment goals
- Contributes to Admissions Team efforts by assisting other counselors as time permits, as well as maintaining a positive work atmosphere by communicating effectively with students, students’ parents, faculty, co-workers and managers.
- Responsible for other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong computer skills to include: Google suite, Word, PowerPoint and Excel, and the ability to conduct Internet research.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise effective independent judgment
- Ability to be prepare and analyze statistical information for tracking and reporting
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with fluctuating priorities and deadlines
- Strong organizational and planning skills with ability to prioritize and meet deadlines along with attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills; must possess the skills to collaborate, communicate and cooperatively work with faculty, staff and administration
- Strong written and presentation skills
- Committed to the values and environment of an educational institution and its mission and goals
- Ability to deal effectively with confidential information
- Ability to work extended hours (nights and weekends), as needed
- Ability to travel extensively; must have a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record
Essential Physical Functions:
While performing the responsibilities of the Admissions Counselor, the employee is required to sit for varying lengths of time; bend, reach, lift, push, and pull up to 40 pounds; occasionally stand, walk, and kneel and regularly ascend/descend stairs; use hands and fingers to handle or feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard; perform extended periods of work at a computer workstation, viewing computer monitor; perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction and receive detailed information through oral communication; express and exchange ideas by means of spoken word; and work in an office setting.
Position Compensation and Benefits:
Salary for the position will be commensurate with education and experience. Salem College also offers various health plan options, tuition waivers, generous paid time off, access to academic, arts, and athletic programming on campus, and the ability to work in a diverse educational setting on a historic property.
The position is available immediately and will remain open until filled.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position, a resume, and the contact information for two professional references to Audrey Gauss Phillips, AVP of Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The review of applications begins immediately.