Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for Spanish Teacher – Part Time to join the Salem Academy faculty in August 2022. Our ideal candidate is an innovative, creative teacher with extensive content knowledge in all levels of high school Spanish courses who is excited to share their passion with young people. This position will be exempt and report directly to the Director of Curriculum and Instruction.
About Salem Academy and College:
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of women in health leadership. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach three Spanish courses, including Spanish I, II & III.
- Teach an exploratory/experiential learning short-course during the two-week January Term Session.
- Develop lesson plans which reflect the curricular goals.
- Collaborate on curricular improvements as needed.
- The ability to provide instruction remotely if and/or when the need arises
- Develop and maintain a course site in Google Classroom.
- Adhere to school guidelines regarding grading and other recordkeeping duties.
- Maintain regular contact with academic advisors, students and their families.
- Work effectively with other faculty, staff and administration at the Academy and College.
- Perform all other duties appropriate to employment as determined by the Head of School.
- Comply with all rules and regulations established as school policy.
- Master’s degree preferred; Bachelor’s degree required.
- 1 -2 years of experience teaching high school level Spanish; prefer 3 to 5 years of teaching experience.
- Competency with educational technology, including Zoom, Google Docs, and online learning management platforms.
- Ability to combine academic rigor with engaging instruction.
- Actively considers curriculum and pedagogy through the lenses of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Collaborative, growth-oriented, and motivated to continue developing as a teacher.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for interacting with students, parents, and colleagues.
Essential Physical Functions:
While performing the responsibilities of the Academy History Teacher, the employee is required to sit for varying lengths of time; occasionally stand, walk, and kneel and regularly ascend/descend stairs; use hands and fingers to handle or feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard; perform extended periods of work at a computer workstation, viewing computer monitor; perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction and receive detailed information through oral communication; express and exchange ideas by means of spoken word; and work in an office setting.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Academy Spanish Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.