The mission of the Salem College Counseling Center is to provide emotional support through a broad range of culturally-competent, evidence based counseling and educational resources that help students achieve academic success through a holistic approach.
These holistic services will be delivered in an environment that values students as individuals and celebrates human differences and respects confidentiality.
Students Will Learn
- to identify individual goals toward positive change through counseling and education.
- identify and utilize support resources and crisis services through counseling and education.
- demonstrate self-advocacy with an understanding of their rights and responsibilities through counseling and education.
The life of a woman in college can be very exciting, rewarding, challenging, fulfilling and stressful. If you find yourself struggling at any point with some issue or circumstance in your life, or if you simply want suggestions on how to balance your life and take better care of yourself, please contact Salem College’s Counseling Services office.
We provide high-quality counseling and support for a variety of emotional and personal concerns using on-campus support, individual and group counseling, workshops and educational programs. Our professional counselors demonstrate good judgment and sensitivity in their assessment of your needs and concerns, and will make referrals to other professionals as appropriate. The Counseling Center is a safe, compassionate and confidential environment.
What Can You Expect?
When you meet with a trained counselor in our center, either one-on-one or in a group setting, here is what you can expect from the experience:
- You will do most of the talking.
- Sometimes you may experience painful feelings before feeling better. This does not mean that counseling is not effective, but rather that you are making progress.
- You will need to participate actively and be as open and honest as possible.
- Counselors will help you make decisions for yourself, not for you.
- Tell your counselor if you don’t feel like you are making progress.
- You may ask for another referral or discontinue counseling at any time.
Location & Hours
The Salem College Counseling Services office is located in Gramley Hall (Lower Level). During the academic year, the hours are 8:30 a.m.- 12 p.m. & 1-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and otherwise by appointment.
- Online Information. There is a wealth of information available to you on mySalem, the intranet site. Simply click on “Documents and Forms” under “Services” and then on “Counseling Services Reference.”
- Workshops are offered to Salem students throughout the year. Some of these are offered as information sessions in the Refectory during lunch; others are scheduled for about an hour on announced days/evenings. Evening workshops tend to fit particularly well into student schedules. Topics may cover stress management, grief/loss issues, alcohol/drug education, clinical depression, eating and body concerns, date rape, dream interpretations, PMS and/or relationship issues.