When will I find out about my roommate?

You will be notified of your roommate over the summer before you come to school in August in after you complete the housing questionnaire. You will have a chance to connect with them via social media and email before school starts.

Can freshman residents have cars on campus?

All students on campus can have a car. Cars must be registered with Public Safety and parking passes are only $100. More information can be found at www.salem.edu/accepted-students/public-safety-and-parking.

How do I get an advisor?

During the summer before your first year, students are assigned an advisor based on the SIGN110 course they selected. Later on when you declare a major, you will choose a new advisor who is a full-time faculty member within your department.

Can I make changes to my schedule after I register?

Yes! Even after classes start there is a drop/add period where students can adjust their class schedules. However, it’s best not to make too many adjustments because classes can fill to capacity.

What if a course section I want is closed? Can I still get on the waitlist?

Students will be added to a waitlist for a class if it is full. During the drop/add period, if anyone drops the class you will be notified and able to add the class.

When can students start arriving in the fall and spring?

For Fall 2019, first year Orientation is on August 24th. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors, can begin moving in on August 25th and classes begin August 28th. In the Spring, students can begin moving in the weekend before Jan Term begins.

How do I send mail to a student living in one of the residence halls?

Every residential student is assigned a mailbox in the student center that is theirs for their entire time as Salem. To send letters, student addresses are of the format…

Student Name
Box #
601 S. Church St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Packages should be sent to the basement of Main Hall and students will get an email that a package has arrived. Send packages to…

Student Name
c/o Main Hall Basement
601 S. Church St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Can students remain on campus during breaks? Are the dining halls open?

Students can remain on campus during October, Thanksgiving, and Spring breaks. However, residence halls are shut down for December break and students must leave. The dining hall is closed for all of the breaks, but Little Chapel and the Student Center have snacks and canned food available to those who can’t make it to the grocery store!

What residence halls are air-conditioned?

South and Bitting are senior residence halls with central air conditioning. All other dorms have air conditioned hallways and lobbies, but not individual rooms. Students are welcome to bring window units though!

What will be in my room when I arrive?

Every room comes with 2 beds, 2 dressers, 2 desks, 2 chairs, a full sized mirror in the closet, a sink, and a medicine cabinet.

What size are the mattresses?

Mattresses are Twin in Clewell and Twin XL in every other residence hall. More information can be found at www.salem.edu/accepted-students/what-pack.

Can I loft my bed?

Beds can be lofted, bunk’d, or lowered. Please submit a work order upon moving in so that Physical Plant can assist in this process. Students can submit maintenance requests by emailing workorder@salem.edu. The email will create a problem ticket that Physical Plant will begin working on. If need be, they will be in contact with you regarding the issue.

What if I get locked out of my room?

The first step is to contact your roommate and see if they have their key and can let you in. If not, contact your RA who should be able to let you in. If they are unavailable, you will have to go to Public Safety. Public Safety is on call 24/7 to help with any concerns at (336) 917-5555.

Are microwaves, fridges, and other appliances allowed in the residence halls?

Microwaves are not allowed in dorm rooms because there is one on every floor in the laundry room. In your room, fridges and keurigs are allowed. Hot plates are not allowed as they are a fire hazard.

Where will I do laundry?

Every floor of every residence hall has a laundry room. Laundry is completely free to students, you just need to bring your own detergent and dryer sheets!

Will I have access to a kitchen?

Every residence hall has a kitchen on the first floor or in the basement. Kitchens are completely free to students, you just need to bring your pans and food!

Who is eligible for counseling services?

Health and Counseling Services are completely free to all Salem students. The Health and Counseling Services offices and the Wellness office are all held in the basement of Gramley Residence Hall. Counseling services are completely free and confidential between the counselor and the student.