How do I apply to Salem?

To be considered for admission, you must submit an application form, the application fee, official sealed transcripts from all previous college work, two letters of recommendation, proof of high school completion, and a two-page typed essay about your educational journey.  Once your application is complete, you may be scheduled for an admissions interview. Please contact our office if you believe all application materials have been submitted and you have not heard from us.

What are the deadlines for applications? What is the latest date that I can submit my application?

The Fleer Center has rolling admissions, which means the application process is ongoing. You may submit your application any time; however, to be eligible for the Half-Price Grant, all admissions materials must be submitted not later than August 15 (if applying for fall entry) or January 15 (if applying for spring entry).

What is the Half-Price Grant?

The Half-Price Grant is awarded to new degree-seeking Fleer students who complete their application by the deadlines listed above. Available only in a student’s first semester at Salem, this grant will pay 50% of tuition for part-time enrollment.

Who is not eligible for the Half-Price Grant?:

  • students who already hold a 4-year degree (bachelor’s degree)
  • certificate-seeking students
  • new students who elect to register for a full-time course load in their first semester
  • students who were previously enrolled at Salem College (*except students who dropped courses before the drop/add deadline. Please ask us if you are unsure!)
Do I need to turn in all my application pieces at one time?

You may turn in your completed application at one time, or you may send/bring in parts as you finish them. You may email your essay to Recommendations may be sent via fax (336-917-5432) or scanned and emailed to the email address above. Note: faxed or emailed recommendation forms must be sent to us directly from your recommenders.

How long does it take to process my application?

Once all parts of your application have been received by our office, you may schedule your admission interview. Admission decisions are typically made at or shortly after your interview.

How long will it take for me to complete my degree?

This is up to you and depends on how many courses you decide to take each semester and how many transfer credits you have. In order to obtain a bachelor’s degree at Salem College, all students must complete a minimum of 36 full courses.

I only have unofficial transcripts. Do my transcripts have to be official?

Yes, we must have sealed official transcripts from all colleges or universities where you have attempted or completed college-level work. You may have the transcripts sent to you or directly to our office.  If the transcripts are sent to you, make sure they remain unopened.

Who will evaluate my transcript(s)?

The Salem College Registrar’s Office will generate a transcript evaluation once your application file is complete. This evaluation will indicate which courses transfer to Salem and how many courses are still needed to complete your degree.

Must I complete an associate degree to apply?

You are not required to have any college work before applying at Salem, but it is strongly encouraged.  You may also apply to Salem anytime, regardless of whether or not you have completed your associate degree. Successfully completing at least one semester of college-level transfer work will give you a better start at Salem and ease the transition to the rigorous academic expectations at Salem. Completion of high school or a high school equivalent program (such as a GED) is the only requirement.  If you hold an associate degree (A.A. or A.S.) from an in-state community college, you will have satisfied most of Salem’s general education requirements and can apply to transfer to Salem at a junior standing. 

I took classes at a community college over 12 years ago on the quarter system. Will these classes still apply to my degree from Salem?

It depends on the specific classes that were taken.  If the courses were college-level courses with a grade of C or better, they will probably transfer into Salem. Official transcripts are evaluated by the Salem College Registrar’s Office.

Can I be enrolled at a community college and Salem simultaneously?

Yes, you may be enrolled at a community college and Salem College simultaneously. Once you are admitted to Salem, it is important to work closely with an academic advisor and complete a transfer pre-approval form to be sure any courses taken elsewhere will transfer to Salem.

What is the cost of tuition?

Tuition, room and board costs for 2017/2018 are as follows:

  • Traditional Undergraduate Resident Students - $39,740
  • Traditional Undergraduate Day Students - $28,100
  • Fleer Undergraduate Students - $400 per credit hour
  • Graduate Students - $430 per credit hour; $500/per credit hour off-site or online degree programs

Most students should also see the following fees on their bills:

  • Student Government Association (SGA) Fee - $216/year (all billed on fall statement)
  • Technology Fee - $250/year ($125 billed on fall statement and $125 billed on spring statement)
Does Salem College offer grants or financial aid?

Salem does offer financial aid to those who qualify and complete and submit their FAFSA to Salem College’s office of Financial Aid. Salem College also offers the Half-Price Grant for the first semester at Salem for degree-seeking part-time students (taking one or two courses at Salem) without a prior undergraduate degree.  If a student enrolls in 1 or 2 courses, the tuition is cut in half.    Full-time students may also qualify for the North Carolina Need-Based Scholarship (NCNBS). Other grants, scholarships, and loans are available to students, as well.

What majors are available?

Salem offers four undergraduate degrees: BA, BS, BM, and BSBA (bachelor of arts, bachelor of science, bachelor of music, and bachelor of science in business administration).  Several, though not all, majors are available in the evening. Salem College adds majors and minors frequently so ask our office for an updated list if you have any questions or concerns.

Salem also offers four certificate programs in accounting, not-for-profit management, historic preservation, and injury-preventive keyboard technique. 

If I have a question about financial aid, my bill, and loans—who should I call?

The Financial Aid Office (721-2808) and the Business Office (721-2613) will be able to answer all your questions regarding the costs of your coursework at Salem.  Their offices are located in Lehman Hall, on Church Street, four buildings down from Main Hall.