Why Choose CMS
Why study music at the Community Music School at Salem College?
- Faculty: most of our instructors hold advanced degrees in music. They attend workshops and conferences, and are members of music associations. They are committed to providing excellence in music education. More information on our faculty can be found at Faculty.
- Reputation and history: Salem College has provided music instruction for the community for longer than any of us can remember! Many of our students have received recognition, awards, scholarships, and other honors. Some students have even gone on to earn music degrees at prestigious conservatories and institutions.
- Variety of programs: The Community Music School at Salem College provides lessons, classes, and workshops for the hobbyist, the pre-professional, and professional musicians. Whether you are an absolute beginner or an advanced musician, we have something for you.
- Innovative pedagogies: Our faculty are committed to using the best materials and strategies available, combining traditional teaching with innovative curricula.
- Technology: The Community Music School has a Technology Studio where students can supplement their lessons with creative projects and educational software to further enhance their understanding of music.
- Recitals: At least three recitals are offered each semester. These are somewhat informal, providing students with an opportunity to share their musical growth.
- Other events: The Community Music School offers a number of special lectures, demonstrations, discussions, and parties. Below are some recent offerings:
- How Parents and Caregivers Can Support Young Musicians (lecture/discussion)
- Piano Ensembles
- Getting the Most Out of Practicing (lecture/discussion)
- Master Classes
- Performance Classes (to practice the art of performing)
- Listening Parties
- Rhythm Parties