Expand Your Horizons
A world of opportunities awaits you. Your Salem professors will know you well enough to make sure you get the right internship, undergraduate research experience and study abroad opportunity. Your resume will be stronger and boast more significant experiences than those of your peers at other academic institutions.
100 percent of Salem students graduate with one professional internship (the average is three internships) and significant community service experience.
January Term: an opportunity to focus
In your first year you will take an on-campus course or faculty-sponsored travel program. In following years your options will expand to include internships across the country and the world. Jan Term is the perfect opportunity to work full-time in a professional field of interest, conduct an independent research project or focus on one course in a specialty area.
On-campus course examples:
- Gone to the Dogs
- Young Women’s Activism: The Third Wave
- Landscape Drawing
- Politics in Film
- Green Design: A Brighter Future?
Sample travel courses:
Community Service: an opportunity to build your confidence
Through the Salem Signature you will complete a Service Learning course and participate in 30 hours of community service. This experience in your sophomore year gives you the opportunity to apply what you are learning in a real-world setting and explore life experiences different from your own:
- Samaritan’s Purse
- Children’s Museum of Winston-Salem
- AIDS Care Services
- Habitat for Humanity
- Girls on the Run
Internships: an opportunity to explore your career path
Everyone completes at least one internship through the Salem Signature program and most choose to participate in three-four. You can work your internships during the regular term, the summer or during the January Term.
- NASA, Houston
- Cureamericas Global Health, Inc., Guatemala
- Smith Barney, Atlanta
- Bill Silva Management, Inc., West Hollywood
- Sony Music, London
- Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center
- CBS News, New York
- ESPN, Los Angeles
Study Abroad and Off-campus Study: an opportunity to expand your horizons and your mind
- Participate in Salem’s extensive study abroad programs in one of the following countries through Salem’s partnership with BCA Study Abroad and Harlaxton College: Belgium, England, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Wales, Cuba, Ecuador, Mexico, Australia, China, India, Japan and New Zealand.
- Washington, D.C. Semester: Study at the heart of U.S. politics, pursuing your interests in government, foreign policy and international environmental affairs during a semester in D.C. offered in cooperation with American University.
- Travel to New York City to represent Salem at the Model UN and work with college students from across the country.
- Cross register for a courses at Wake Forest University
Find out more...
“My horizon keeps expanding as each new experience teaches me to dream bigger.”