Salem Signature Introduction
First, let me congratulate you on your admission to Salem College. Second, allow me to share some exciting news. We have recently created an innovative NEW Salem Signature program, which includes the general education courses a student takes outside her major. The faculty are truly excited about this new program and about the role of the incoming first year class (your class!) in making the new program a reality.
The goal of the Salem Signature is to produce creative thinkers and effective communicators, confident women who are prepared to change the world. Students will work closely with faculty in small classes and will go into the community to experience hands-on learning through professional and service-learning opportunities.
Across your four years at Salem, the key features of the Salem Signature include:
- the First Year Experience, a variety of seminars focused on such issues such as Education and Equity, Literature and War, and Creative Thinking, in which students work collaboratively on a project, improve their writing and thinking skills, and develop their ability to communicate using technology;
- the Global Awareness Seminar, a variety of seminars focused on such topics as Immigration and US Politics, Modern Japanese Culture, and Cuban Literature and Film, in which students enhance their global and environmental awareness;
- a Service Learning Seminar, in which students work on a community-related research project, perform 30 hours of hands-on community service, and develop skills required for effective citizenship;
- an Internship or Professional Development Experience, in which students will explore career possibilities and develop real-world professional skills;
- exploration of a variety of academic disciplines through requirements in science, mathematics, social science, arts, and humanities;
- a course focused on women’s roles and the impact of women across cultures and time;
- a capstone interdisciplinary experience, including an individual project, aimed at synthesizing the students’ academic experiences and real-life goals.
If you have any questions about the Salem Signature, I would welcome an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. I hope that I will see you as a participant in this exciting academic endeavor at Salem.
Dean of Undergraduate Studies